I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19, NRSV
As we near the end of the long journey toward Easter, a busy time for pastors and layfolk alike, I ponder the words of Isaiah and the relief and refreshment of a river in the desert.Before reading my play, you absolutely need to notice the name of this blog, but of course you already know it's desert spirit's fire! Here's today's highly conventional and (for me) very predictable play:
For this Friday Five, name five practices, activities, people or _____ (feel free to fill in something I may be forgetting) that for you are rivers in the desert.
- The Desert, any desert, is a stream in my wilderness, but especially going to Tucson and being in the Sonoran Desert;
- The Beach, any beach, at any time of day and any time of year;
- The City—once again, almost any city;
- Corporate Worship—especially when we celebrate Eucharist and/or there's a baptism;
- Conversation with almost anyone: someone who's been a friend for a long time and with whom I've talked lots, or someone who's been a total stranger previous to this moment.
...but of course I could add dozens of others.