Today is the 3rd Friday the 13th of 2012 and revkjarla hosts another 2nd Friday random 5 that seems perfect for helping to lighten my current almost über-serious modality:
1. If a spaceship landed in your back yard, and three very cute little aliens knocked on your door and asked you to show them around Earth, where would you take them? (Remember, you have superpowers from last month's Second Friday Five, so if you need to use them for transportation, feel free to do so.)
When I checked out my 5 for the 2nd Friday in June, the only superpower I noticed was having all the ingredients on hand for a super sandwich, so maybe the pleasure and energy I'd get from enjoying that sandwich would help transport the VCL Aliens to a few of my fave venues: a desert, any desert, but why not the local Anza-Borrego? A big city, so I'll make that The City of Angels a little north of here; a beach, too: how about La Jolla Shores? Yep, only those three for now, and several more for later. BTW, I know the VCL Aliens would like the earth sandwich, too.
2. What is making you grumpy these days?
After far too long, still trying to figure out how to find community that welcomes me and celebrates my participation instead of casting me aside with stupid excuses. And yes, I've finally learned to leave after waiting a reasonable time.
3. O.K., so now that you got the grumps out, what is one thing today that will be sheerly joyful for you?
I have another organ supply gig for Sunday and I'm excited about practicing hymns and liturgy on the new organ at that church later today. Since this one was a surprise, I'm waiting for the pastor to email me the hymns so I can have the pleasure of choosing related prelude and postlude. I'm also excited about this blog's 10-year blogoversary that's coming up Monday; I want to figure out something wonderful to post within the octave of that date.
4. I am pitifully, once again, trying to grow a garden. Last year I only harvested one cucumber. This year, I have zucchini, cucumbers and tiny tomato plants. Everything is abloom, but the jury is out whether there will be any yield. So, do YOU have a garden? What are you growing? If you don't, what is your favorite fresh summertime vegetable/fruit/flower?
No fruit, berry, veggie, or flower garden here, but my fave summer bounty includes berries and tomatoes and I tend to go crazy with the wide local supply from Mexico and California. It took me a long time, but I've finally learned not to buy produce that's been shipped any distance for the multitude of familiar reasons.
5. If the aforementioned aliens suddenly demanded all the contents of your closet, OR ELSE (as in clothing, shoes, etc.) but kindly said you could keep three items, what would they be?
As much as I adore the really truly vintage Jessica's Gunnies skirt I got on eBay a while ago, it's also kinda fragile (I wear it as little as possible and have patched it discretely with iron-on from the back in several places), but I love skirts and dresses in general and since in the warm weather I wear them as much as possible my three would be my just below the knees lightweight embroidered corduroy skirt, a white cotton shirt to go with it, and one of my three tan safari dresses. I'll choose the one with longest sleeves so I won't get too chilly: every inch of sleeve helps lots.