Share with us:
1. a favorite city, and what makes it so.
Amsterdam: all-around excitement and energy; (especially culinary) diversity; museums; music (maybe esp the Concertgebouw Orchestra in the Concertgebouw; easy access to lots of other fun cities.
2. a favorite getaway spot, far from the maddening crowd (far being a relative term).
The desert! Always the desert! Notice the name of this blog? The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is a zoo, natural history museum, aquarium, and botanical garden all in one place.
3. a great local eatery that you stumbled upon while passing through from one place to another.
I don't remember its name and I've no clue if it was an eternal feature or ephemeral, but I need to tell the world about the diner in the Smoky Mountains in Gatlinburg, TN, with some of the best pancakes imaginable. Fun, funky, irregular shapes, lots of butter, some kind of generic maple-flavored syrup. I also had the best vanilla soft serve ice cream imaginable during that passing-through to the next (land-locked) port of call.
4. a landscape that inspires or nourishes you.
The desert, always, the desert! Ramsey Canyon Preserve has the greatest ecodiversity possible within a given space.
5. a place you long to visit.
In whatever order someone offers them to me: Singapore – Hong Kong – New Zealand – Australia.