Friday 28 October: eat
#write31days Fridays continue with Kate Motaung's prompt—eat
Come let us eat, for lo, the feast is spread.
We've almost concluded Luke's year in the Revised Common Lectionary. Shared meals, aka "table fellowship" are a major feature of the gospel according to St Luke; throughout his narrative of Jesus of Nazareth's earthly life and ministry, we meet Jesus arranging to feed crowds and throngs of people, dining with religious professionals—pharisees. We find Jesus eating with sinners and reprobates (gotta love that word), inviting himself to dinner at the home of tax collectors—Zaccheus! At his last meal with his followers, Jesus tells them the Passover finally will be consummated in the fullness of the reign of God. Late on the day of resurrection, the first day of the new creation, Jesus takes, blesses, breaks, gives bread and then – then finally! – people recognize him. Sign of the kingdom of heaven in our midst!
Luke's gospel also specializes in great reversals, the reign of heaven that's an "upside down kingdom" in conventional terms. The upper-crust (I use that expression intentionally) lounged and reclined at the banquet table:
People will come from the east and the west, the north and the south, and recline at the feast in the kingdom of God. And behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last! Luke 13:29-30
As a whole, Luke is my favorite gospel and this is one of my favorite topics. And this is Five Minute Friday. I need to stop writing.
Mexican Cornbread Salad
Make 12 side dish servings
• 1 9 ounce package Cornbread Mix
• 1 4.5 can chopped Green Chilies
• ½ cup Mayonnaise or Aioli
• 1 cup fresh Cilantro, chopped
• ¼ cup Lime Juice
• 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
• ½ teaspoon Salt
• 1 head Romaine or Iceberg Lettuce—best shredded
• 1 15 ounce can black Beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 15 ounce can black Olives, rinsed and drained
• 1 11 ounce can whole kernel Corn, drained
• 1 8 ounce package Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
• 1 large Red Bell Pepper, chopped
• 6 Plum or Roma Tomatoes, chopped
• 3 green Onions, chopped
• 1 pound cooked Chicken, chopped
• Prepare Cornbread Mix according to package directions, adding Chilies.
• Cool and crumble.
• Make Dressing Mix by combining Mayonnaise, half of the Cilantro, and the next 3 ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Layer a 4 quart bowl with
• ½ of the Lettuce and ½ of the remaining Cilantro,
• ½ of the Cornbread, ⅓ of the Dressing Mix, and
• ½ each of Beans, Olives, Corn, Cheese, Bell Pepper and Tomatoes.
• Repeat layers.
• Top with remaining Dressing Mix and Green Onion.
Sides & Salads
recipe from Jennifer Jones
So glad to be your FMF neighbor today. I enjoyed your words this evening. Have a great weekend.ReplyDelete
Beautiful! I need to try that salad.ReplyDelete